The annual Scholarship is the most significant financial award presented by The Ron Tough Yachting Foundation. Focused on promoting excellence and developing youth, the scholarship is awarded to a West Australian individual or team that already has already demonstrated proven performance at the highest levels of National competition along with a clearly identified pathway to achieve excellence at the highest levels of international competition.
The purpose of the Scholarship is to assist the recipient to undertake a significant International campaign in circumstances where their clear development pathway and dedication demonstrates a real intention and ability to succeed if provided with the opportunity.
The Scholarship is about the talent and dedication of the individual sailors rather than the specific class of boat sailed.
Prior recent recipients have included:
2018: Lachy Gilmour & Ryan Donaldson – 49er
2017: Zac Littlewood – Laser Radial
2016 Nia Jerwood – 420/470
2015 Conor Nicholas – Laser Radial
2014 Alistair Young – Laser
The Scholarship is open to all sailors’ resident in Western Australia who are current members of an Australian Sailing affiliated club in Western Australia.
In awarding the Scholarship the Directors take into consideration many factors including (but not limited to):
- Demonstrated high level competitive performance.
- Clearly identified pathway of intended international competition including clearly identified performance goals for events.
- Clearly established dedication to excellence and the achievement of identified competitive goals.
- Ongoing positive involvement and contribution to the sailing sailing community in Western Australia.
- Other sources of assistance (financial or other) available to the applicant.
Scholarship applicants are also welcomed to make separate Grant applications, however it is generally the case that an individual applicant will not receive more than one award in any given year.