The Ron Tough Yachting Foundation grants financial assistance on an annual basis to Western Australian sailors to assist them in achieving their sailing goals. Grants are made to individual sailors and teams to support their attendance at International events in a class of boat where they have already demonstrated strong performance and commitment at a National level. Grants are generally not made to support attendance at events within Australia. Individual grants are determined in February/March of each year and awarded at The Ron Tough Yachting Foundation Awards night in March so the sailors have the funds in time to support their attendance at events during the European summer.
The grants support the Ron Tough Yachting Foundation’s mission statement of:
Dedicated to encouraging and supporting excellence in sailing by people of all ages with an emphasis on youth.
The grants are determined by the Board of Directors based on electronic applications made via this website and following consultation with a Coaching Advisory Group where all applications are considered.
Grants are made in the following categories:
- Scholarship for individuals or a Double Handed teams (The Syd Corser Scholarship)
- Financial assistance for Single Handed Sailors
- Financial assistance for Double Handed Teams
- Financial assistance for Match Racing and Multiple Crew Teams
- Financial assistance for local Sailing Clubs to assist with sailing oriented educational projects
- Financial assistance for Class Associations to hold Pre-Nationals Coaching Clinics
The purpose of the grant is for the encouragement, benefit, promotion, advancement and/or education of sailing or sailors. Without limiting the generality of the expression of the above terms, the same shall include:
- The provision of yachting oriented equipment
- The cost of transportation of competitors, individual coaches and equipment travelling overseas for an international championship
- Coaching and training
From 2020, applications for grants are offered by the Ron Tough Yachting Foundation from mid-January to February each year and are presented at our annual awards night in March. This allows applicants to supply their latest sailing performances and to detail their proposed sailing program for the current year ahead. Class Association applications for funding to host Pre-Nationals Coaching Clinics in November/December need to be submitted by 31 August each year and are awarded in September, however expressions of interest to be included in the Pre-Nationals Coaching Clinics and added to the RTYF contact database are welcomed throughout the year. .