The Ron Tough Yachting Foundation grants financial assistance on an annual basis to Western Australian sailors to assist them in achieving their sailing goals. The grants support the Ron Tough Yachting Foundation’s mission statement of:
Dedicated to encouraging and supporting excellence in sailing by people of all ages with an emphasis on youth.
The grant as determined by the Board of Directors may be awarded to one or more beneficiaries.
Grants are made in the following categories:
- Scholarship for individuals or a Double Handed teams
- Financial assistance for Single Handed Sailors
- Financial assistance for Double Handed Teams
- Financial assistance for Match Racing and Multiple Crew Teams
- Financial assistance for local Sailing Clubs to assist with sailing oriented educational projects
- Financial assistance for one-design Class Sailing Associations
The purpose of the grant is for the encouragement, benefit, promotion, advancement and/or education of sailing or sailors. Without limiting the generality of the expression of the above terms, the same shall include:
- The provision of yachting oriented equipment
- The cost of transportation of competitors, individual coaches and equipment travelling overseas for an international championship
- Coaching and training
Applications for grants are usually offered by the Ron Tough Yachting Foundation from mid-January to late March each year. This allows applicants to supply their latest sailing performances and to detail their proposed sailing program for the current year ahead.
Presentation of the grants are usually awarded at an awards night in May.